Apprenticeship in Literacy: Transitions across reading and writing by Dorn, French, & Jones (1998) state, “For children to be successful learners, they need us, as teachers, to be knowledgeable about the literacy process and to provide them with constructive reading and writing opportunities that guarantee their right to literacy.” In this book, literacy is construed by social and cultural contexts. It is a process of interacting and interpreting students’ knowledge and learning needs. Therefore it is imperative that teachers create and use instructional strategies that support the child’s primary discourse, in terms of Gee, as a way to construct new learning. Educators must be able to articulate what children already know, so that they may guide them towards deeper understanding and learning. Wells and Chang-Wells (1992), coined the notion of “leading from behind,” which is this exact idea of teachers enhancing the level of development within their students by utilize the student’s foundational knowledge.
Scaffolding is a hot topic in the education world, and I say this because many teachers believe it is a good idea, yet do not practice it. Why would someone know that scaffolding students’ learning processes are beneficial, but not put more effort into utilize it as a resource? According to Wood (1980, 1988), “the critical part of scaffolding is the adult’s ability to determine the child’s zone of proximal development, thus providing appropriate instructional strategies that create a shift in the child’s level of cognitive functioning.” All research seems to point out that scaffolding is a temporary way to help enhance children’s learning.
Apprenticeship to Literacy continually relies on foundational theories by Vygotsky to conclude that a child’s learning is not an individual process. Children need the assistance of adults to guide them to higher levels of understanding. “Learning awakens a variety of internal developmental processes that are able to operate only when the child is interacting with people in his environment and in cooperation with his peers” (Vygotsky, 1978). This book gives an example of a young girl, Allison, learning literacy, while being guided along by her teacher. Things for teachers to think about in such a situation are, is what I am saying helping the child relate the story verbally to the written version, am I encouraging the student to use reflection as a way to evaluate their work, and does the student understand that written work is communication intended to be read in a coherent and meaningful way by a particular audience.
Interesting post, I especially like the part about Paulo Folro (spelling?). I have read only a bit of his stuff, but I really like it. In regards to scaffolding, is that related to modeling? I keep hearing the word but I don't actually know what it means. Anywhoodle, keep up the good work :)
ReplyDeleteI am confused by your comment that scaffolding is a temporary way to enhance children's learning. I thought scaffolding was a process that was ongoing, with the master adjusting the level of assistance until finally the apprentice has mastery and no longer needs scaffolding. Is that what the authors mean? Or are they saying it only works for a short period of time? Certain ages?
ReplyDeleteI think that scaffolding is a temporary teaching tool that can help you meet the learning needs of your students for all ages and content areas. I do not believe that the student has necessarily mastered the skill, content, etc. when the scaffolding is no longer needed. Instead scaffolding allows the apprentice to get to a place where they are able to learn more independently, but again that does not mean they are proficient or at master level.
ReplyDelete