When communicating with others, it is important to make sure there is a clear understanding of what is being said. The same is true for teaching. It is necessary for both the teacher and the child to share an understanding of the task at hand. This idea in the book is referred to as Intersubjectivity. If this does not happen, then the students and the teacher will have a harder time cultivating the students’ learning, and most likely one or both parties will end up frustrated over unmet objectives.
There are tools to help aid the process of Intersubjectivity such as modeling, coaching, scaffolding, articulating, and reflecting. As children gain literacy skills it is important to remember that we must teach by modeling both language and action. We can teach students different types of strategies and skills that can help them move to independent learning through problem-solving. Language again is an essential part of guiding students’ experiences, and when used to teach properly can promote a deeper level of understanding. Scaffolding is a very useful tool where teachers set and regulate different levels of support for their students temporarily. It is based on the children’s comprehension level of the task and information being presented. The most important aspect of scaffolding is that it must be self-destructive, that is when the child no longer needs the help it encourages independent learning. As for articulation, the idea is for the child to take ownership of their learning. This skill teaches students to become aware of their own cognitive processes, and their ability to plan, organize and reflect on their literacy performances. This flows right into teachers promoting students’ self-reflection by utilizing questions that encourage students to focus on personal accomplishments.
“During any given literacy activity, teachers must employ a range of language forms and provide interactive and adjustable degrees of support for each one.”
I especially appreciate the first sentence about communication needing a clear understanding of what is being said. I had an experience with this when I was team teaching a topic in class last semester. I thought we had clearly decided what we would do for passing out materials. But my co-teacher had a completely different idea of what i was envisioning for a plan. It made sense but was not what I was expecting to happen.
ReplyDeleteScaffolding is such a great tool and strategy that should ALWAYS be used in any classroom! I think not only does the student benefit from this but the teacher as well. Our main goal for our students should be to acheieve success in all areas. And one great way to help our students reach that success is by supporting them! Great post! :D
ReplyDeleteI agree with what you said about communication. I'm sure that's why it's so much better to teach individually and in small groups because you can constantly monitor understanding. It's much more difficult in the whole-group setting.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you on the communication issue. I think that all too often, students don't ask what is being asked of them or the content and teachers don't understand what the student is needing in order to succeed.
ReplyDelete